- It’s normal to sometimes lose your workout motivation.
- We’ve listed some workout motivation quotes by athletes and other notable figures to help you find the spark again.
Feel like skipping your workout? Don’t want to get out of bed to do your morning exercise routine? Well, you’re not alone. It happens to the best of us. Fitness is a marathon, not a sprint. What matters is commitment and consistency long-term. So, if you’re ever going through a rough patch where the motivation just isn’t there, you might very well simply need a break.
However, don’t let yourself fall out of your routine for too long. The most important thing you should remember when you get this feeling is to not give in. Don’t let your effort go to waste. Remind yourself again why you’re doing it and regain your workout motivation!
Staying 100% self-motivated all the time is a real undertaking. Sometimes, you need to look elsewhere for a bit of a boost. These workout motivation quotes from athletes and other notable figures may help inspire you to get back on the healthy track.
18 Workout Motivation Quotes
No Effort is Ever Wasted
- “I’ve always believed that if you put in the work, the results will come.” – Michael Jordan
Blood, sweat and tears — all the hard work that you’ve done will eventually pay off. Keep on doing your best and don’t be discouraged. When you start to feel overwhelmed, remember this simple piece of advice: Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Baby steps still mean you’re moving forward.
- “Today I will do what others won’t, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can’t.” – Jerry Rice
If you want to be better than the rest, you must work harder than the rest. The more effort you put in, the better the results will be.
Patience, Persistence and Perseverance
- “All great achievements require time.” – Maya Angelou
- “Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, sacrifice and most of all, love for what you are doing or learning to do.” – Pele
- “Champions keep playing until they get it right.” — Billie Jean King
You can’t get six-pack abs in a week. Your fitness goals take time and they require effort and dedication. Don’t give up until you get there. Keep on moving forward. These are just a few workout motivation quotes to remind you to stay patient, to be persistent and to persevere. The results will be worth it.
Your Mind Holds the Power
- “Everything is possible as long as you put your mind to it and you put the work and time into it.” – Michael Phelps
- “The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a person’s determination.” – Tommy Lasorda
- “It isn’t the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it’s the pebble in your shoe.” – Muhammad Ali
Self-doubt, lack of confidence and negative thoughts hold you back. These workout motivation quotes are excellent reminders that you have what it takes to succeed. Believe in yourself and in your capabilities. If you can believe it, you can achieve it, because the mind is a very powerful thing.
You Deserve Better
- “Exercise is done against one’s wishes and maintained only because the alternative is worse.” – George A. Sheehan
- “I still look at myself and want to improve.” – David Beckham
Be better and stronger than you were yesterday. There is always room for improvement. Strive to be the best that you can be, and aim to evolve into a better person each day.
Make It Happen
- “In baseball and in business, there are three types of people. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened.” – Tommy Lasorda
It’s your choice. Don’t just be a spectator — be the kind of person who makes things happen. Be proactive, take action and create the life and the future that you want. You write your own story — nobody else.
Discipline is Key
- “Without self-discipline, success is impossible, period.” – Lou Holtz
- “Procrastination is one of the most common and deadliest of diseases and its toll on success and happiness is heavy.” – Wayne Gretzky
- “You can’t get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good.” – Jerry West
Stop making excuses! We are each responsible for all of our own successes and setbacks. Get up and give it your all. Success requires sacrifice, so improve your self-discipline and don’t let those feelings of laziness and other small things stop you from getting closer to your goals.
Don’t Give Up
- “You’re never a loser until you quit trying.” – Mike Ditka
- “It’s not whether you get knocked down; it’s whether you get up.” – Vince Lombardi
- “I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.” – Michael Jordan
- “Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up.” – Dean Karnazes
If you feel like giving up, remind yourself why you’re trying so hard in the first place. Don’t quit. Pull yourself back together and get back to working on your goal. Your future self will thank you for having the will and the determination to keep pushing through the hard times.
For more help living a healthy lifestyle, be sure to check out our other blogs on fitness, nutrition, balance, and more.